Thursday 1 June 2023

49. Oseira to A Laxe

Hola friends, your comments are encouraging me along, thank you. I’m conscious of fatigue as I get to the end of this Camino and of the danger of just wishing these final stages away, but you help me to appreciate this amazing opportunity and rich Galician country. Goblins, trolls, and fairies, yes! I can imagine them everywhere in these damp, green forested parts. 

This morning started, as has been the pattern these past days, with a steep climb through a wild rocky water race. I started with a bunch of others but in minutes they seemed far behind and I felt like the only person in this remote rural backwater.















I passed through a dozen tiny hamlets along the stage. I never saw a human being but was bailed up by at least one dog, and ignored by about three cats in each one of them.



It was damp this morning but once again, the rain held off until we we’re safely housed in the albergue in A Laxe (pronounced ‘u - lash’). The humidity is sapping when walking but not having to contend with rain at the same time is a relief. It’s impossible to wash and dry clothes so each day now I am walking in the same damp, smelly gear. Maybe that’s why even the trolls are hiding!!??

















In the albergue, we are almost exactly fifty kilometres from Santiago. Ourense was 110 so that’s about 60 kilometres covered in these past two stages, maybe even a bit more since Osiera is a few kilometres off the direct route.



A Laxe is a tiny nondescript kind of place, with an albergue to match. It has a reputation for mosquitos, and already I’ve seen them, so tonight could be interesting. There is one bar on the nearby main road, so happily, we can get dinner.


From a personal perspective, it feels an achievement to be here. A combination of weariness and the constant energy sapping humidity means that each stage is a bit daunting at present. Tomorrow, Fernando and I hope to walk to Ponte Ulla, 28kms further down the road. This makes it a shorter (22km) stage into Santiago on Friday - very appealing.

Buen Camino
Neil💚👣



7 comments:

  1. Ultreia, dear Neil! You're almost there! It's so sad, the weather has changed so much since the Mozárabe. Good luck, Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I’ve had another go at a sort-of haiku, theme of water, and taken some liberty with your experience, Neil. Not sure about the second verb … As I walk The Way / I greet the mist, rain and hail / with my sweat and tears. … cheers, you are getting closer! KAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Neil for providing such a wonderful thoughtful commentary of your journey for the armchair travellers at home. The last two days pictures of ancient forests with mossy tree trunks and boulders pressing close to the beautiful walking track have been a treat to enjoy - and to imagine the goblin, troll & fairy folk inhabitants. Blessings on your last day’s walk into Santiago. Lyn P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Neil, so near, trust you can celebrate with your favourite food and a nice cool beer. It has been such an experience for us to follow your daily path, beautiful photos and shared thoughts. Blessings and thank you. Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not far to go now. You CAN do it. Go gently and well. Love and prayers, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oi! Backwater? Nondescript?? Not from where I sit! Fatigue and weariness perhaps filter what you experience there but for me/us it is nothing less than wonder full. As you are. I feel enriched and so grateful that you walk this path when there’s little chance I will or could and that you share the journey so creatively, articulately and diligently!! Almost there!! Bloody amazing! With awe, appreciation and love, Deb ❤️👣

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've brought up one of my memories of Galicia: the impossibility of getting anything dry. Maybe in Santiago you can do a proper laundry? Ken

    ReplyDelete