Friday 2 June 2023

51. Ponte Ulla to Santiago de Compostela

I woke and packed with a sense of excitement this morning. After fifty stages I am just twenty kilometres, a few hours walking, from Santiago. Fernando and I met downstairs for a quick breakfast as soon as the café opened and I was off. Up the hill, through the tunnel and on to Santiago.



The early part of the walk was quite rural but, of course, it became increasingly urban as I closed on Santiago.























This is the last hill to cross before the city.



As I topped the hill the spires of the cathedral came into view. It was an emotional moment.







In through one of the arches into the old city. Not far now - many people and more noise. Each Camino route arrives at the cathedral and the Praza Obadioro via a different path. The Mozárab way is perhaps more understated than the Camino Frances (no bagpipes and less tourists); my heart thrilled nonetheless. 



I arrived alone but I very much had Sarah in my thoughts. We began this together and she has continued with her still, silent Camino.



Once in the Praza, it was good just to perch on the edge and savour the adventure. I wanted to wait and welcome Fernando in.





He arrived an hour or so later, glad and satisfied to finish his Camino.



After the obligatory selfie, and a bit of tomfoolery we retired to the nearest bar for a celebratory cerveza - it was cold and good.





I’ve had a great afternoon. After checking in at the Seminario Menor I joined Fernando again for a menu del dia at Casa Manolo, a Santiago institution. Then I went off in search of a fleece to replace the one I accidentally left in Ourense. I joined Fernando again for a final meal at a favourite Santiago tapas bar - delicious! We said our farewells and I’m back in my room preparing for the final phase of this Camino - to Finisterre. I have four more stages each of about 29kms. My legs are tight and my ankles are swollen so I  need to manage these stages carefully. A good night’s sleep is the first requirement so I’ll sign off now, grateful for a very special day.

Buen Camino
Neil🧡👣




10 comments:

  1. Swollen ankles! Ice? That ibuprofen cream they use in Spain? It's only a few more days. . . . Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've made it in one piece (almost).Congratualtions!!!! Nothing like that first glimpse of the Cathedral spires... Be kind to your knees and ankles. I believe there ar buses in Spain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good effort mate. After this, I reckon you’re just about fit enough for another attempt at Mt Kelly 😂 Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on reaching Santiago!! G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superbo! Salaam! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many emotions on reaching Santiago. Well done! Rest well. Love and prayers, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be sad when you finish your Camino Neil, it's been a joy to follow along with you. Look after that body of yours! Anna T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! You’ve arrived! A good sleep … and bus to Finestre?? No one (but you and whoever you tell) will know😉 Well done. ❤️👣Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neil Congratulations! I’m impressed about your journey. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your camino even your muscles are tight. I cross my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, I turn away and you’ve entered Santiago! I was hoping you’d have a day to put those legs up and give your ankles something to cheer about 🎼🐦‍⬛ KAS

    ReplyDelete