Friday 1 June 2018

26. Medina del Campo

I am writing this from my bed in the youth hostel in Medina del Campo, another fairly large town on this plateau we are traversing on the way to Zamora. The hostel is pretty simple really, but compared to the back room in the sports stadium we were in last night it feels like a 5 star hotel. For a start, there is a shower in each shared room (I’m sharing with Keith). There are also sheets and towels and I am in a single bunk after two nights on the top bunk - luxuary.

It was a big stage today - approximately 35 kms, so after a breakfast of two bananas we were on the road early. We passed the old town of Arévalo and crossed the river before we started to get into open country.





Pretty soon we sighted our two Spanish companions who had started ahead of us.



We also came across a flock(?) of vultures, one of which I managed to photograph.






We caught up with Andreas and Louis in the next little town. So far, everyone I have met on this route has been 60+.



Geoff, this one’s for you. It’s one of the best weather vanes I’ve seen -  very Spanish!


The walk today has been through open plains of mostly grain crops.


There are still occasional fields of poppies which glow bright red against the other crops.



There are some similarities between this landscape the plains of La Mancha - now far behind me.







A couple of kilometres before one little town we bumped into this old guy walking along the path. He turned around and walked with us back into his village. He spoke in animated Spanish all the way and we picked up the occasional work. Despite the langauage difficulties, it was a nice connection. I tried to convince him to walk on to Santiago with us but he wouldn’t be in it - smart man!,


As the kilometres ground on, Keith felt increasingly tired, as did I. You can see an increasing determination in his stride - ‘I’m going to get this done!’ 


And so he did. And here we are - tired but pleased with a solid stage and a good days walking.

Buen Camino
Neil









2 comments:

  1. That is a very cool vane!! Wow!! Thanks for that. Maybe you can mail it to me when you return home. I continue to be very surprised at just how unbelievably flat the Levante is. I thought it would have more terrain than has been the case. I can promise you some hills after Zamora...you will be much happier:) And you will enjoy Zamora. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a bit of a hilly week, so just catching up on all your photos from a few days walking. It looks a wonderful place to be with clear air, sky and colour all around. I love that the churches are in the centre of each village and town but wonder about their actual centrality to people's lives anymore...guess your Spanish might not extend to asking such a question about town! Also remembering how last time you found visiting some of the churches important for your own sense of the church's place and wondering how that is for you this time... Look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete