Saturday 23 June 2018

46. Negreira - struck down!

I didn’t feel great when I set out on the first stage of the walk to Finisterre. I had been battling a bug since I arrived in Santiago and it seemed to be winning - should never have drunk from that font on the way in! Nevertheless, I decided (probably foolishly) to have a very light breakfast and press on. 

When does a door become a bridge?



There were many more pilgrims on the road to Fisterra and I was struck that they seemed to be the older ones. 

The path quickly takes you out of Santiago and into the surrounding hills. Here’s the view back to the cathedral.





As the day went on, I felt worse not better. It was gastro! Just after this innocuous little bridge there is a really solid climb.



By the time I got to the top I was feeling weak and nauseous. I stopped to rest but it didn’t help. I had hoped to press on past Negreira but by that stage I decided just to try and get there and lie down.

Three kilometres to Negreira, will I make it?





The further I went, the weaker and sicker I felt. When I staggered into Negreira I had no strength left. I felt I was about to pass out. I staggered into the nearest albergue, paid for a bed and headed for the shower.  Before I finished, I was vomiting wildly and you know what! It was all I could do to clean up the mess and get back to to bed. I made it, just, and lay for the next 18 hours. I had no idea what I would do next. I figured I’d just lie there and see if I was still alive in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, this is awful! I am sorry to hear how ghastly you feel. And being on your own but in a crowd makes it even worse. Ummm, 'this too shall pass' is about as inspiring a thought as I can think of!

    ReplyDelete