Saturday 23 June 2018

47. Olveiroa

Dear reader, you will be pleased to know (I hope!) that I survived the night and was definitely feeling as if this bug had almost passed through me by the morning. Needless to say, I do not recommend being sick or convalescing in a crowded albergue!

As any pilgrim knows, you need to be out of most albergues by 8.30 or 9.00am for cleaning purposes. I decided I may as well try and press on though the thought of a 33 kms stage in heat and high humidity (and with all those pungent Galician smells) did not exactly thrill me. It was a case of needing to dig deep.

Up and out I went into the early morning dark. 


I followed another group of pilgrims for a while to get my bearings but they were noisy and slow and I needed space. 



I also needed to get to the next cafe. I didn’t want to eat, but I knew I’d need to replenish energy..



The track quickly entered into forested paths and after an hour or so, I reached alto a Pena, which is where I had originally planned to stay last night. No lemonade but they did have Aquarius (which Geoff swears by) so I tried some of that. It helped.

Today’s stage was always going to be long but in heat and humidity and still not back to full strength it was going to be a challenge. I tried to get into a steady rhythm and just keep on with it.



It was hard to remember to take photos but here’s a few of the broader landscape - which in the photos looks very pleasant and benign.


This was the view at the top of a climb that was anything but benign, especially in the blazing sun. 




Eventually, I crossed the Ponte de Olveiroa and had only a few kilometres to go.



Those last few kilometres went on and on but eventually this sign came into view. You can imagine how pleased I was to see it. Look, Mum, I even got the flowers in!



I’m glad to have this one under my belt! These last two stages have been some of the toughest so far. It’s strange, you’d think It would be easy after so much walking but instead I’m struggling. That’s the Camino for you, it just keeps coming!

I crashed out for an hour or so when I arrived and am looking forward to more sleep. But, definitely feeling much better than yesterday... much!

Buen Camino
Neils








6 comments:

  1. So sorry you’ve had a lurgy. I hope you’re back to full strength for this next stage and can enjoy these last few days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh! That's really nasty Neil. Glad you're on the mend mate. Always one of the the biggest fears on Camino is getting ill. When it happened to me once I crawled into a cheap hotel room to recover as I wanted some quiet. Yup, isn't that Aquarius just excellent. Saved me on the Plata and while walking in Japan. Looking forward to finding it again in Spain this fall:) Take care...we are thinking of you. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is such bad luck! You did eat at the Black Cat though 🤔. Seriously mate, I can only try and imagine how tough the last couple of days have been. A good dip in the Atlantic will be just the ticket I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon courage mon ami. That is a tough gig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aquarius is the best! I wish it was sold in North America.

    Good to hear you’re regining strength. The turn to Muxia is tomorrow?

    ¡ Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hold on. Nearly home. Shit that's amazing

    ReplyDelete