Friday 8 June 2018

33. Calzadilla de Tera

Mike Gaffney had raved about José, the hospitalero who runs the albergue we stayed in last night and I can see why. In numerous kind and undemanding ways he cared for the needs of the pilgrims. He welcomed us, washed and hung our clothes, created a nice vibe in the albergue with the music he had playing, cooked a heart-warming meal and offered tips for the next day’s stage - where to find coffee etc. He seemed so suited to his role and so faithful in it. Thanks heaps José.


I forgot to mention that he also made a call to check when and where Keith’s bus back to Zamora would arrive.



The sunrise this morning was promising. By the end of the stage it was raining again (gently), but it was a good morning for walking out of town and Keith (a bit sad to be leaving the road) walked out to the edge of town to say farewell.



We left by the side door!



But not before a photo in front of the mill that dominates the skyline of this town.



This seemed like an appropriate spot to say farewell - Keith stopping while I walk on.


That black dot in the middle of the road is Keith walking back into town.



My path took me past the new high speed rail line - note the sleepers ready to be laid...



and out into some nice country. I caught these guys on the first climb.



and this shot of the sun obscured by clouds.


This is a nice walking surface!


Another Dr Seuss tree.



My long road...



The kind of waymarking I like.


The Rio Tera.


In Santa Marta de Tera I caught up Santiago,



and also with Louis (who we’d last seen in Medina del Campo). 



Louis and Andres are walking the camino Sureste and our routes have cross several times. Unfortunately, Louis has tendinitis in his shins and has been reduced to bussing for the next few days. It was good to catch up again, though we struggle to communicate freely with limited grasp of each other’s language. I bit him farewell and continued walking to Calzadilla, passing avenues of plantation trees and a hobbit house along the way.





As I mentioned, it raining gently for the last five or six kilometres but not heavily enough for a poncho. It took a while to find the albergue but eventually I did. No one there, I just walked in the unlocked door and found a bed. At the moment I have it to myself. I suspect Uli might come later but on Camino, you never quite know what’s going to unfold.



Buen Camino
Neils






7 comments:

  1. I like the photos of doors!

    I hope others join you tonight, and that the rain holds off tomorrow.

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, whatever happens tonight, I’m in a little bar about a kilometre from the albergue which has great music playing and hopefully anicemeal. I’m a happy man in the world.

      Delete
  2. Another nice day. Alone on the road again and open to whatever comes your way, or you it's. Enjoy your evening and tomorrow. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff, yes a nice day of walking. And Galicia upahead. I’m looking forward to that.

      Delete
  3. Great blog neil
    I love the hobbit house and the plantation trees photo. Beautiful

    Funny whilst I obviously can't know what you've seen somehow I can imagine it all so clearly, I guess because it's close to me.
    Grat effort today mate. A big double stage. That's huge.
    Keep going amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I love the tunnel of tree trunks. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one Neil. This is very Zen. And no art of motorcycle maintenance needed! I emphasise with Keith's bandaged hand, I've done my share of that -!

    ReplyDelete