Tuesday 26 June 2018

Santiago... by BUS!!

Today, I caught a bus. 

That might not seem so momentous but I realised that this time on Camino is the longest period in my whole life that I have not travelled on some form of mechanised transportation.

As the bus drove through the narrow streets of Fisterra I couldn’t believe how fast we were going. I found it quite unnerving. Over the past two months I have travelled only at walking pace, the pace we humans were designed to move. It’s a pace that allows you to experience (see, hear, smell, feel and taste) things that you miss when you’re speeding through the world in the air conditioned comfort of a car, train or plane. You may be moving through but in a funny way you experience a place more fully.

I’m not denegrating these other forms of transport, though they have caused many problems for our planet, I wouldn’t be in Spain without modern transportation. But, it does make me think about what we miss and lose when we only ever use these fast forms. I hope I’ve been able to share something of this walking journey through the blog, to share some of the gifts and challenges of the world I’ve walked through. A world that has blessed me greatly. To quote from Mike Gaffney, another Camino tragic, ‘From windmills to waves, from the plains to mountains, from industrial outskirts to cobblestones, from bunks to bars, and now to the beach... what a treasured journey.’ Indeed it has been, and the great thing about a treasured journey is that it keeps giving. Already, I am looking back and savouring afresh some of the memories.

In today’s post, I thought I’d share a few of the photos I couldn’t include in recent posts. I’ll start with yesterday. Here’s one from the township of Fisterra as I walked in. Cool doors, hey!



And here are a few from Cape Finisterre as the sea mist rolled in.







And, from Muxia.







Olveiroa



In yesterday’s post, I mused on my own sense of being literally and metaphorically on a threshold and of being open (opened) to a new sense of things. In an email I received later that day there was a poem by Anne Hillman that seemed relevant to this and related themes that have arisen on the Way. I offer it for reflection and comment. Buen Camino, Neils 

We look with uncertainty


We look with uncertainty
beyond the old choices for
clear-cut answers
to a softer, more permeable aliveness
which is every moment
at the brink of death;
for something new is being born in us
if we but let it.
We stand at a new doorway,
awaiting that which comes…
daring to be human creatures,
vulnerable to the beauty of existence.

Learning to love. 






7 comments:

  1. When I took the bus back to Santiago from Muxia five years ago there was a sign inside, forbidding pilgrims from removing their boots.

    As someone who has completed a PhD and a long Camino, you are definitely on the threshold of something new. I hope it is something wonderful.

    ¡Burn Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mate you've taken the doors to an art form. The collection you now have is exquisite. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT! . . . . .You can do this on the bus!!!!!


    (Hey Jost - I have an idea . . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That same line came to my mind. We really are camino tragics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blog from you,This post is really amazing, very informative and great post from you. I really appreciate your work, keep working like this.
    Must try this Impossible Moto Racing

    ReplyDelete