Tuesday 2 May 2023

20. Villaharta to Alcaracejos

I made it. Phew! What a day!

I was up at 5.15am to time with the opening of the bar downstairs at 5.30am. 

Problem No. 1 - The door out of the Hostal was locked #*¥%^#. After tapping and knocking for 30 minutes or do it was obvious no one could hear. Eventually, I found the fire escape and got put that way. I had a quick cafe and tostadas and launched into the night. 

Problem No. 2 - It was pitch black walking back up the road to Villaharta and at one point I heard a rustle and a deep growl in the bush beside me. My heart skipped a beat and I waited for a wild boar to come charging out. Thankfully nothing appeared and I pressed on. 

Gradually the dawn broke and it was beautiful. 







As soon as it was light the birds started to sing and they were magnificent. I recorded it on my phone but don’t know how to share it here. 



A little later, two deer ran out in front of me, startled by my appearance. They were too quick to catch on camera. From here the track narrowed and it was like bushwalking in Australia.



The darker line in this photo is an ant track - a track within a track.



Up and down I wound, over one ridge and down into the next valley - over and over again.


 




Most of the time, I was out of the sun but eventually it caught up with me.




Stepping stones for pilgrims when water is flowing.





Ten kilometres down, twenty seven to go.



From mid-morning the temperature really started to rise and the track became more uneven and rocky under foot - much slower and harder walking (and I didn’t want to repeat my fall of last year!). There were occasional sections of gravel road which were a bit easier.



A fire has been through here - I wondered if it was one of the fires we heard about in the news last year. The trees have died but there is some regeneration.



I only saw one human being on the whole of this stage - an old farmer who beckoned me to his fence and tried repeatedly to tell me something that I couldn’t understand. I imagine it was comical to watch us trying to communicate!! The only bit I thought I picked up was that there was a Fuente one kilometre ahead. Sure enough…



In the last third of the stage the terrain flattened markedly. It reminded me of many semi arid parts of NSW. 



O no, a wild boar warning!! I had my trusty staff at the ready to fend him off but, thankfully, this guy didn’t show either.



The only water I saw on the stage was at this ‘river’ crossing. I was sorely tempted to plunge in and cool down. As I walked to the edge, I saw a tortoise enjoying the cool and decided not to disturb him.









Eventually, I broached a small hill and saw the town just ahead - a sight for sore eyes.



I went straight to the nearest bar and ordered a cold beer. O wow, it was good!



I’ve since found the albergue, showered and washed clothes, and returned to the same bar for a meal and more refreshments. Geoff Travers, my Canadian peregrino friend, swears by Aquarius lemon drink. I just downed two in quick succession and, I agree, when you’re patched, it’s goood! 



There is one other pilgrim in the albergue tonight - an older Belgian guy (75) on his fifth Camino. He walked to Cerro Muriano and caught the bus to here. ‘I’m too old for such long stages’, he said, ‘especially with so much heat and undulation’.

It was a challenging day, I’m pleased I made it in okay shape and I’m very happy for a rest tonight.

Buen Camino
Neil 💚👣🍋

PS. Thanks everyone for following along and for your comments and reflections, you and they are very much appreciated.

PPS. I have just heard from Sarah. She too made it - to Bonnevaux. She says it is cool and green, and she has a really nice room overlooking wonderful grounds (photo below). The retreat she is leading has just started.






11 comments:

  1. That was a tough day for you for many reasons. So glad you’ve had good food and hopefully a comfortable bed for the night. As a 75 year old, I would agree with your Canadian mate.
    What a beautiful view for Sarah onto the labyrinth. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Neil and glad the boars (bores?) did not materialise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fire escape should be easier to find that that!
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad (Charles) has been sharing with me these posts as they come out. That's a very impressive day, especially solo - and I'm touched by your letting the tortoise keep the 'river'.
    Rian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that you made it once more! Don't be afraid of wild boars, they normally will run away. The ones that are dangerous are the ones that habit near big cities, but dont fear those that live in the forest. The paper warning you found said that on Sunday February 12th was wild boar hanting day. I still think that any Australian animal is quite more dangerous than Spanish wild boars 😂
    I am glad for Sarah too! Keep going and doing your best!
    Alba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, what a day! Dark, hilly, hot, wild boars (maybe), 37 klm, you definitely deserved that beer. Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a walk - I bet that beer was sensational, well done [btw I have been following those ants on Facebook - you're right!! - they are on the 'Camino de 'S - Ant - iago']

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aquarius! Just what the doctor ordered! I couldn’t find any of this during extremely hot days crossing the Francigena last year in England, France, Switzerland or Italy. And believe me, I looked! Seems to be unique to Spain, Portugal and SW France. I’ve had early dark morning encounters with those boars and it can be a bit unsettling. And an icy beer at the end of a long hot stage…perfect. Good to see you enjoying yourself! You can expect more of the same until north of Salamanca. Geoff (your Canadian mate)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! So glad you had a much better reception after this long stage, Neil. Even that old farmer wanted you to have refreshment on the way. Nice to know you’ve both landed in a good space. And thanks for that photo of the stepping stones, each wearing an arrow or shell - very affirming, like the entries from experienced travellers like Alba and Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  10. That beer was certainly well deserved after your adventurous day. Good to know that you were both settled for the night. Love, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such amazing photographs! I wish they sold Aquarius in North America.

    ReplyDelete