Thursday 4 May 2023

22. Hinojosa del Duque to Monterrubio de la Serena

It was an early start again this morning and I had everything planned for a quick, quiet (super efficient) getaway. The other pilgrims in the albergue were all catching buses ahead today (when did that become a thing?) and so had no reason to rise early. I on the other hand wanted to get going early so as to beat the heat. I organised my pack last night and placed it in the foyer so I wouldn’t disturb anyone in the morning. All I had to do was get up, sneak out of the dorm, put on my shoes and… vamos! It was all going like clockwork until I went to open the front door. Click, click, ‘oh no’. It was locked from the inside!! #%*# 

Antione (the Belgian guy) had arrived late yesterday arvo (too late to register) and I had given him my key to a. get in and out as he needed, and b. return when he left later in the day. This meant I had to sneak back into the dormitory and find Antione’s smelly boot in the pitch black (because that’s where he’d placed the key so that he wouldn’t forget it). Scrambling around on all fours, I eventually found said ‘smelly boot’ and retrieved the key. I then snuck out again to unlocked the front door, snuck back in again to return the key to the ‘smelly boot’, and snuck out again to leave!!! 🥾

Once on the road (15 minutes later than planned) I caught the last moments of the moon before it set. 


Here I am, stumbling along in the dark eating an apple, which was my breakfast (no bars open this early). 



Gradually the light strengthened and the road opened out in front of me.





The colours on the horizon were wondrous as the sun began to rise.









It really is a magic time of the day to be out walking in the country.









I took my first pause after about two hours of walking - banana break.





Another abandoned railway line. 



As I walked past this dilapidated station in the quiet mid-morning I wondered about life here in former days. The people who met and talked on that station…



Further on, another deserted platform and station, perfect for my second pause - orange break. 



After that the landscape stated to become more hilly again. I wound over a ridge and down into this river valley.



This was the only person I saw on the whole stage, except for two pilgrims on bikes who passed me at my banana break. My constant companions were the birds, who never stoop singing the whole way.





The first two thirds of the walk were glorious - the weather was mild, there was a gentle breeze and all seemed calm. The last ten kilometres were on an asphalt road, which by now was getting hot and which led uphill the whole way to Monterrubio. The most notable happening of this section was that I passed from Andalucía into Extremadura. I also took my third pause - chocolate break!!



I found the albergue at the other end of town, and so far I am the only one here. It’s a really nice one - I have sheets and a towel, access to a washing machine (which is fabulous for getting dusty socks clean), and a pretty comfortable bed - all for 8€.

And speaking of comfortable beds, I should report in on last night. I have to say that adding a board under my mattress made a marginal improvement to the sag of the mattress and the quality of my sleep. Also, I can testify that a sleep apnea machine is not too disruptive and is definitely preferable to loud snoring. It reminded me of visiting patients in ICU on respirators - quite rhythmical and calming. Mind you, I can see why this guy needed one, for it was definitely working hard to get him to breath sometimes!!

Tomorrow is my longest stage yet - 39kms. Thankfully there is a village in between, which means the possibility of refreshment half way. Somehow that seems less daunting, and with clean socks it should be a breeze!!

Buen Camino 
Neil❤️🥾


12 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of predawn walking, which sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fabulous day.
    However.
    It does bother me that it is so hard to get out of your accomodation. What would happen if there was a fire? Take care! Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS The photos are marvellous (and have been in all these blogs, which are my best morning newspaper). I am looking forward to a lush coffee table book about these caminos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad Neil you have a ‘luxury’ albergue for the night and hope you sleep/have slept well for tomorrow’s marathon. So much of the walk on Thursday reminded me of walking around my family farm - wheat stubble, old sheds, curious cows… I’ve been stalking you intermittently, but am with you in spirit. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this with us. The cadence of your writing is practically audible, I can almost hear your footsteps. Photos stunning too - what species are the three silhouetted trees you captured?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Rian, so lovely to have you following along. Those trees are oaks - such beautiful trees. 🙏

      Delete
  6. My dearest Neil:
    As a card -carrying nutritionist, I am most concerned about your food intake. 🤯 An orange, a banana, and one piece of chocolate all day is just not going to cut it (I hope you are, at least, taking in enough water). There is no way that given the amount of work your body is doing you could eat enough in one meal, to cover all your needs for the day. Bottom line, I hope you don’t get exposed to anything untoward because I think your inevitable dwindling reserves will compromise your ability to withstand much. Not a good prospect.
    From a caring and devoted follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking with you, mate. Your images - the themes, colours, perspectives and sequence carry me along. Creeping out (been there), being locked in (done that), talking to farm animals (yes, weird - but sometimes as good, if not better than humans), enjoying solitude (introspection), finding green river valleys after rocky dusty climbs (bliss), and finishing the day along kms and kms of bitumen (f%^&) . . . And yes, I hope you had a good wholesome meal tonight to go with your apple, banana and pieces of chocolate. Getting plenty of water too I hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how life is simplified when on a walk like this. Food, shelter (getting in and out!), sleep, walking ... love the photos and reflections

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheets, towels, a washing machine and a comfortable bed - what a blessing! I pray that you are able to find nourishment along the way. I agree that there is something very special as the day is about to begin. Your photos are wonderful, thank you. Rest well. Love, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a *beautiful* morning … and birds singing you right through the day. I concur with all of the comments about safety, nutrition and the simple blessing of clean sheets and socks. But still, the day was beautiful … travel safe Neil. KAS

    ReplyDelete
  11. That morning light! Those colours! Ken

    ReplyDelete