Tuesday 9 May 2023

27. Mérida to Aluéscar

I’ll start today’s post with a couple of maps. The first shows the route I will be taking to Santiago and Finisterre, which includes (for the next two weeks) walking the Camino Via de la Plata. I joined this route yesterday at Mérida. The route itself follows an old Roman road which went from Mérida to Astorga. 



This second map, shows the Camino Mozárabe (the purple line) joining the VdlP (the green line) at Mérida.



So now I am in Alcuéscar, 36kms north of Mérida. It was a longish stage, and I have more ahead, as I am behind schedule. In fact, today I have 30 days left and 33 stages to walk!! I wasn’t great at maths at school but even I can see that I need to make up some stages if I am going to place my feet in the Atlantic Ocean before I have to leave Spain. I’m not sure yet how I’m going to do that but (legs willing) I’ll give it a red hot try!!

I left the albergue in Mérida as soon as the troops started stirring this morning, had a quick coffee and tostada with Antione in a little bar a kilometre or so after starting, and then got going in earnest. It was a long uphill climb out of Mérida and then down the other side to the embalase de Prosepina, a old Roman dam. The sun was rising as I walked beside the old dam and that made for some nice colours in the sky and across the water.



From here, the road led into some very quiet country.



There were a couple of other very small villages along the way, and I was struck by how much attention is given to the Camino, even down to these mosaic tiles incorporated into the road.





A little further on, I entered into the Parque Natural de Cornalvo - a very pleasant section to walk in







These seem to be the new Camino markers for the VdlP, and there were blocks with this symbol every 500 metres or so along the route.



These are the famous black Ibérico pigs. They apparently feast to their hearts’ content on the acorns from the oaks that grow everywhere in this part of Spain, and then humans feast on them!! Reputedly, they make the very finest ham. These guys seemed very content, oblivious it seems to what awaits them at some future date.









I try to have a break after every two hours or so of walking. This was the six hour point and it was definitely time for a couple of squares of chocolate to boost dwindling energy levels.



All up , I walked for about 7 hours. The last hour or so was slow grind uphill in the rising heat of the day. It seemed to take forever for Alcuéscar to appear but finally it did. 



It had a cute entrance sign (those are little model houses on top) and, I was pleasantly surprised to discover, the albergue was situated right opposite.



The albergue itself is in an old school and monastery that was founded to educate and re/skill the poor after the Spanish civil war (photo below). Today it offers hospitality to pilgrims and serves as a refuge for homeless locals. It has a lovely spacious, peaceful and cool feel. I suspect there will be less pilgrims here tonight as well. It’s been a hot and windy day in this part of Spain, and I image quite a few of those who left Mérida this morning will stop in villages before they get here. 



The other lovely thing about this place is that they offer a community meal in the evening.



And what a meal it was, simple and delicious!! For the graces of the Camino, humble and hearty thanks. 🙏

Buen Camino 
Neil 💜👣

PS. Sunset from the albergue window.




9 comments:

  1. Another mathematical diversion is 36km/7hrs which is three miles an hour in old money. Not a bad clip. I think you will make Finisterre. Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. those community meals refresh one in body, mind and soul! Go well Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress, mate - [btw I think those different Camino markers include the stylised image of a Roman arch/city gate which you will reach in coming days - 'you'll know what to do when you get there']

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing sunrise and sunset photos. I have a strong feeling that you will do it. Love and prayers, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, beautiful beginning and end, and intriguing sign to Raposeras with foxes and tree … couldn't track it down on Google. Take care, KAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried a different search, and apparently that was a sign for a hunting reserve for small game. Who knew? KAS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t believe you are walking up one whole side of Portugal! I think… it’s about the journey, not the destination? Feels like a lot of pressure on those sturdy legs of yours! It’s probably my projection, but life is so full of push, and you may or may not get to dip your toes in the Atlantic… but I reckon you’ve done that before , so if it doesn’t happen this time… Oh, well!?
    But, I’m not you!
    I hope more hostels have community meals… what a lovely generous gift to you and your fellow pilgrims … and I’m glad the pigs are unaware of their fate…or contribution to your journeying! And also, that they seem so content for now. Much love and appreciation to you, Deb ❤️👣

    ReplyDelete
  8. More amazing photos Neil. Loved the sunrise but did wonder about the "umbrellas" in the water. Fascinating to follow your progress, best wishes for the rest of the journey. Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible journey! Ken

    ReplyDelete