Wednesday 24 May 2023

42. Mombuey to Puebla de Sanabria

Rabbits! That’s what I encountered as I left Mombuey this morning. Hundreds of them - darting hither and thither behind bushes and under rocks as I walked past. I’ve never seen so many at one time. 













And then dogs! Or I should say two boisterous puppies came racing up to me as I entered a little village, craving attention (and the hem of my shorts!!).





And then, would you believe it, deer! Grazing on the road of all places?!


And then… Okay, you get the picture. I shared the way with quite a few of animals today. And there was more to come…



I walked through six or seven small hamlets during the day and saw a number of these little chapels situated in the middle of intersections. I remember them from the Camino Frances but they weren’t a feature in the southern part of Spain. 



These hamlets seemed quite run down. If I ever saw a person they were inevitably older, and it makes me wonder how much longer these places will survive as living communities? Certainly, a number of the bars that were open five years ago are closed now.





This landscape is very different to what I was walking through a week ago. This kind of country is much easier to be in. 







To me, a winding path is so much more evocative and aesthetically pleasing than a long straight line.







These shoes aren’t as clean as when I started in Almería but they are bearing up well and I hope will bear me home.



And finally, wild pigs! A whole family, foraging right beside the path. I startled them and they me! There would have been a dozen or more counting all the little piglets - scattering everywhere when they realised I was there.





The high hills of Galicia are looming ever closer, which means some serious ascending ahead.



The last six kilometres of the stage was on road and hard work. It was a relief when Puebla de Sanabria came into view. The old town on the hill is beautifully preserved/ restored and is a major tourist attraction - complete with a Parador hotel. The albergue is down on the flat where most of the villagers live. 











Tomorrow,  Lubián - 31 kilometres with 750 metres of  ascent, enough to be getting on with!

Buen Camino
Neil 💛👣




5 comments:

  1. Wow, more animal life in one day than all previous days, it seems! Amazing photos of tree trunks and paths, Neil. Sad to hear of bars/ cafes closing. What would happen if refugees were rehomed in slowly shrinking country towns, I wonder? KAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well . . . how was the Parador? You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More excellent photos, thank you. Go gently. Love and prayers, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You weren’t wearing pied but I wonder… did you have a pipe? Or maybe humans are in decline where you’ve walked and critters are reclaiming their place? May there be many more tomorrow to distract you from your climb! ❤️👣 Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up with your journey. So many animals! What do you do when the bars are closed? Where do you get the necessary coffee and Aquarius? Ken

    ReplyDelete