Sunday 21 May 2023

39. Granja de Moreruela to Tábara

The beds were comfortable and the dormitory was warm and relatively quiet last night, and I had a great sleep. 

Despite an alarm going off at 5am(?), I was the first person to leave at 6.30. It was 26km stage and very enjoyable.



It was freezing to begin but did warm slowly as the morning progressed. The breeze also increased, but mostly from the side or behind (much easier to cope with than a headwind). I’m glad to read that higher minimum and maximum temperatures are forecast for the next few days, though there is the possibly of some rain as well.

As I watched the eastern sky glow increasingly red, I was reminded of a line from a song we sing at Benedictus (Awake, Awake to Love and Work), written by war chaplain and poet, Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy: ‘See how the giant sun soars up, great lord of years and days’…



Early on the landscape resembled yesterday’s, but after about eight kilometres the path dipped and wound into a thickly wooded gorge.







In the heart of the gorge there was a significant embalse (reservoir), which I crossed on a grand old stone bridge, and then walked beside for a kilometre or so.







It was a rugged and beautiful track and I savoured every moment. I should add that my blister is barely recognisable now and that I hope not even to have to tape it tomorrow.










I remember this tree from five years ago, when I walked this stage with Keith on the Camino Levánte. I have photos of both of us walking past it, so what else to do but take a selfie?!







Eventually, the path led up out of the gorge and onto another broad plain - still wooded for a time, and then back to open fields.



Me and my arrow!





There were more long straight stretches to walk but after the delights of the gorge these weren’t too onerous.







This is the first distance marker I’ve seen for days - 348kms to Santiago. This means, that from Tábara it’s about 450kms to Fisterra. After having already walked more than a thousand kilometres this feels slightly daunting!! Hopefully, with a rest this afternoon, it will seem less so tomorrow. Also, it helps me to focus on the next steps and stage rather than thinking too much about the whole distance. 

I must say, it’s bemusing that they measure these distances to the millimetre - 348.783 really??!!



I managed to score some breakfast in a little town about 18kms into the stage. And from there if was under 10kms to Tábara.











I’m in the albergue I stayed in five years ago, run (then) by José. It was a very homely place with a communal meal and breakfast.



Since then, they’ve added a new wing with single beds and a nice view of the town. 



I was first in, so had first choice of bed, and first use of the shower and outside washing tub for clothes - a luxury when it comes to albergue living. 

[Fyi, bed choice is dictated by a few factors. 1) lower bunk if possible so as not to have to climb up and down every time you get up, 2) not too close to the door so that you are disturbed every time someone shuffles past to the toilet with their torch on, 3) near a power point for charging your phone overnight, and 4) space for you pack, 5) less squeaky and saggy, and 6) aesthetic appeal (eg) near a window.]

Domestic chores done, I wandered down into the town, joining Fernando (Portugal) for a menu del dia in his Hostal. Then, back to the albergue to rest, read, blog, and plan for tomorrow’s stage.

Finally, thanks to the kindness of our hospitaleros, José and Manolo, we shared a delicious meal in the albergue - our nationalities included Austrian, German, Irish, American, Spanish and Australian. It’s a special thing that happens on Camino.



Buen Camino 
Neil💚👣




7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great day, and good to hear some of the discomforts have eased. All very well being Stoic but nothing beats food, sleep and lovely surroundings. Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very multicultural gathering for dinner, the joys of such on the Camino. We feel like pilgrims on the journey too, feeling the pleasures of sunrises and the pain of blisters, lack of sleep and long days on the road. Neil you are an inspiration to us all. Keep the foot one ahead of the other. Blessings Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stretch! and the evening's company looks convivial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing what a good night's sleep can do. You are certainly looking rested. I haven't enjoyed the experience of being in the company of so many nationalities at one time. It would have made for a very pleasant evening. And a delicious meal, as well. What a good day. Love and prayers, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you photographed a burning bush??? Awe and wonder indeed! The gorge looks just gorgeous (sorry 😉) and the tips on best bed hunting have been logged - thank you. Measuring to the millimetre makes absolute sense to me… I reckon a few pilgrims would welcome knowing the exact distance til their last step! And… hospitality and generosity by your host is heart warming although seems a few of your fellow pilgrims were too exhausted to truly enjoy it? (Maybe just my projection and their facial expressions should not be interpreted ?!)Ongoing appreciation, ❤️👣 Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re preceding comment, yes I had clocked the range of facial expressions and wondered about matching them to personalities if not nationalities of those who walk 😉. You began this day’s post with a stunning sunrise, Neil. Also stunning to hear the distance you have travelled so far. Glad to hear the wind is (mostly) at your back, with a pack to insulate you and a wee bit of sail to help you forward. Godspeed, KAS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful day of walking--although of course I'm reading backwards, and maybe yesterday wasn't as good, from the comments? I guess I'm about to find out. Ken

    ReplyDelete