Saturday 27 May 2023

45. A Gudiṉa to Laza

What a difference a day makes! When we awoke this morning it was calm and clear - a beautiful morning for walking. Fernando and I had breakfast at a little café that opened at 6.30am and then got down to the business of walking and such a contrast to yesterday’s weather. I tend to walk faster than he does so I took a couple of shots for him before pressing on.



He seemed to enjoy the attention!



Unbeknownst to me, he returned the favour!



Sunrise is a magical time of day to be out walking.







It felt like we were traversing the roof of Galicia for much of today. On both sides there were enormous drops into deep green valleys.


That’s some cairn. 











After about twenty kilometres of walking this village came into view. I was ready for a break and very much hoped that it might have an open café. It did!



To get to the village the path descended steeply. Steep downhill walking can be quite treacherous. After my fall on the last Camino I concentrated hard to keep my wits about me. The other disconcerting thing about descending into these valleys is that you know you’re going to have to climb back out again. Sure enough, after the little break it was uphill for quite done time.




All up today there was quite a bit of ascending and descending. The guide tells me we had 621 metres of ascent and, would you believe, 1139 metres of descent. Most of that downhill was in the last ten kilometres where it seemed the path just keep sloping down and down. I think it’s the longest continuous descent I’ve ever walked and my knees are complaining a bit. Of course, tomorrow we’ll have to make it all up again to get over the next range of hills. 



Laza itself is on the floor of a valley. The ground is almost perfectly flat, which for such a mountainous region is quite striking. 

The albergue is on the edge of town. There seem to be about twelve of us here in three different rooms - mostly French, Germans and Australians (3 of us) with a smattering of other nationalities. 



Today was just over thirty-five kilometres in length, and tomorrow to Xunqueira de Ambía is much the same, although it’s a bit more ‘up’ than ‘down’ . There’s more wild weather forecast too!!

Buen Camino
Neil💙👣




8 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous. What views! I bet tomorrow’s climbing will be worth it too. You’re on the roof of Spain. Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again - reminds me of Wales. Or Dartmoor. Apart from appearances, culturally I guess there places were not that far away on the old sea highways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr, those clouds make me shrink in anticipation, and my knees twinge in sympathy. Ignorant Q - do pilgrims ever stay over in an albergue because of bad weather? There seem to be many unspoken rules or guidelines amongst the travellers, and I wonder if there are ‘formal’ ones? Safe journeying tomorrow, Neil. KAS

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have walked a very long way Neil! The end is coming soon.. hope that you are dealing fine with it. Regards to Sarah.
    Alba

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a better weather day after the previous day’s experience. Perhaps the rain makes the sunshine even more special! GT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was that a blackbird amongst the shadowed grass?? ❤️👣 Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such spectacular views! Stay safe. Love and prayers, Elizabeth R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Astonishing photographs. What a wonderful day. Ken

    ReplyDelete