Saturday 9 June 2018

34. Mombuey

It is always hard to get started on a day that is raining. It rained all night and was still raining when I woke and dressed, but thankfully there was a pause as I was about to step out of the albergue. Off I went, leaving Uli (who did eventually arrive in Calzadilla) to follow in his own time.



The sky was threatening, but so far so good. A nice little pausing place.





Today’s stage went up across a range of hills... (these bush azaleas have a fragrance that smells much like dope, which might explain why I enjoyed the day so much despite the elements!!)




then down and around a large dam...










and then up and across another range. It was all very beautiful, especially in the mist.



Almost half way through the stage, I walked in to the little hamlet of Villa de Falfón, where I caught today’s feature door (Keith, this one’s for you, amigo).





There wasn’t much life in this place so I wasn’t expecting to see this sign on the other end of town. Could it really be??



And then this.



I turns out that this beautiful little albergue and coffee stop is run by a South African couple who used to be missionaries in Zambia and India. They had a vision to set up and albergue and simply talk with passing pilgrims. Craig showed me photos of what it was like when they began renovations ten years ago and it certainly didn’t look like this!



I was grateful for the coffee and chat. Thanks Craig. (PS. Those who know their Old Testament will recognise this name. It is the name of the well that had been blocked up but which Isaac dug out again so that all could drink from it.)



 Here’s the font outside the albergue.



From here, with drops of rain beginning to fall, I walked along the most delightful wooded path.



I got to this beautiful grove of trees and it began raining in earnest. On went Julio, my faithful red poncho, and on went I.



It rained constantly and quite heavily for the rest of the stage. Last night’s puddles turned into swamps, the bush track became a running stream, and try as I might to walk on water, my boots got very wet. After a while it didn’t matter, I was as happy as a pig in mud. It really was a great days walking and now that I am washed and clean in the albergue at Mombuey, the sun has actually made a brief appearance. My boots are drying (I hope) under a neighbouring eve and my socks in a metal window grill (pilgrims need to be creative on days like today).



Uli has arrived too, so the albergue doesn’t seem quite so desolate. This evening, it will be full of damp, snoring pilgrims.



What’s not to love about this!!
Buen Camino, Neils 



PS. Oops, quick grab those clothes and boots, it’s raining again!!

4 comments:

  1. Another nice day, though rain can lead to many things...often wet boots! You are walking different stages than I did, so 2-3 stages to Galicia, and as you approach the end of the Prov. of Zamora you'll find the start of those lovely climbs I promised. I think you will really enjoy them as very beautiful country. We are flying north to the Yukon today and will be driving northward after we land in the mid-night sun. Really weird to have the sun at midnight. We will try to check in on you. I know you will be enjoying each day. Not too far to go now, but still many beautiful moments ahead to experience. Buen Camino! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you got so much rain today, but glad there was an element of fun. There is a saying I've always liked- 'Some people walk in the rain, others just go out and get wet'. Sounds like you caught the spirit of walking in the rain!
    What a delightful story about the Albergue Rehoboth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Close to Galicia, and the rain starts falling. I hope your boots dry overnight!

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stage mate. That albergue and the people sound amazing. So many surprises and little gifts. I'd love to be with you going in into the hills. You can't stop Uli

    ReplyDelete