Sunday 17 June 2018

42. Castro Doz贸n

Last night in Cea was a lot of fun. Spain and Portugal were playing in the World Cup so every bar was alive the buzz of Spain leading for most of the match. Things went a little quiet when Ronaldo equalised for Portugal but a three all draw seemed to leave everyone pretty happy.

The highlight of today’s stage was a visit to the monastery at Osiera, where I spent a few hours soaking up the silence, history and beauty. Before that, I had a nice walk through the forest from Cea. There was a thick mist for the first few kilometres.



And then the sun came out adding a wondrous light to the landscape.











Another swarm of cyclists coming through!



The monastery provided a wonderful quiet contrast to the memory of their presence.












Today’s feature door! 







I enjoyed a cafe con leche in the bar opposite the monastery and then walked on to Castro Doz贸n - up, down, up, down, and finally, a few kilometres of road walking in the blazing sun!

I was pleased to meet up with Andres and Louis from the Camino Sureste (Keith and I walked with them earlier). The albergue is very quiet and they have given me a great tip for dinner - perfecto!

Buen Camino

Neils






8 comments:

  1. Hi Neils - I've especially enjoyed your pics over the past few days, as I adore northern hemisphere forested paths - which I'll now refer to as ‘Galician green’. Your doors are so exquisite and evocative too! I like your collective noun for a group of bikers - 'swarm' sounds most suitable! I'm noticing that even though you've been walking for a many weeks now, and you've clocked up some long distances in recent days, you are nevertheless sounding very energised and alive. BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling energised , thanks, Janet, despite the everpresent weariness in the legs. I think slowing down these last few stages has been just what I needed and thankfully, I have the time to do it. I agree, the forested paths are very evocative. Tolkien’s characters come alive in this environment.

      Delete
  2. How far you have travelled! Neil, I hope that these concluding days are a quiet culmination of the many miles, faces, footsteps, frustrations, fun and good fortune you have experience over the past six weeks. Your journey is an inspiration mate.
    Enjoy the time . . .馃弮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, thanks, Mike. I am grateful to have the time to take slightly shorter stages and approach gently.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful stage Neil. Those cyclists look like weekend warriors as no panniers...still annoying:) Heading for LA in a couple of hours, so enjoy your last 2 stages in and congrats - as I've no doubt you'll make it (I never did, though those shoes were a bit of a worry!). Will reconnect with you in a few days. Well done!! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Geoff, I am enjoying these final stages and some good Galician refreshment in the afternoons. I hope LA goes really well.

      Delete
  4. The imagery continues. That beautiful monestary with the exquisite cloister. I think all buildings need a cloister. That's in fact where the world started going wrong when we thought we could move beyond them. Its hard to believe but true.
    Say hello to Luis and Andreas.
    I'm still clocking an average of 15km a day in new york. My biggest 25km.
    Mate you sound like you can see the end keep up the journey ad uou bring it all home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the cloister. Also, every town and city needs a central public plaza in my view. Had lunch with Andres and Louis today. They are very warm and ask me to pass on their best wishes. Wow, you are doin* some big stages in NY too. How are the knees?

      Delete