Monday 18 June 2018

43. Silleda

On the way today, I passed a road sign that read Santiago 44. I am not sure how much further it will be by foot but not much. So, after 43 days of walking the first destination is almost in sight - two more stages and I should be there.

There was nothing particularly notable about today’s stage. It was fairly long and a little complicated in places but mostly very pleasant walking. Early, in the morning I had a meeting with Santiago himself. He looked slightly alarmed and a little stiff, but was friendly enough.



A little later, I caught up with my two Spanish amigos - San Andres...



and San Louis (who thankfully has recovered enough from tendinitis to be able to walk again). 



Actually, at the end of the stage we all ended up in the same albergue and I enjoyed a wonderful meal with these two. It’s amazing what a bit of local knowledge can produce in a restaurant.



The general flow of the terrain was downwards but even so there seemed to be a few serious ascents. The undulations in the country mean numerous bridges and via ducts for the Spanish railways. I’d be interested to know how many kilometres of these via ducts there are in Spain - the cost to build them must be enormous.



There were some delightful shady paths along the way too. These were much appreciated as the day warmed up.







These fences longed with hundreds of simple crosses made by pilgrims are a feature of each Camino I have walked.


And, of course, in wet and mountainous Galicia you are never far from the next elegant stone bridge.






This door seemed to go into the mountain, I’ve no idea why it was there or what might be behind it.



As, I said, some of the way was a bit complicated today - there were many twists and turns. Thankfully it was well signposted and here, it seems, our arrow painter was having a bit of fun.



It would be possible to make Santiago in one huge stage tomorrow but I have decided to do it in two more manageable stages, and so to savour a more measured approach. There will be three longer stages in the final section to Finisterre so no point in overdrawing on what reserves of energy are left. 

Buen Camino, Neils









1 comment:

  1. I am so full of admiration for your journey. Can’t imagine doing anything like it. Catriona

    ReplyDelete