Sunday 10 June 2018

35. Puebla de Sanabria

It turns out that there were only four of us in the albergue last night - maybe the others were washed away! Uli was there and a really nice Spanish couple  - Lire and Tony (who have been working in London for the last couple of years and spoke some English).



I’ve said many times that you never know what will unfold on Camino, and last night was another example. It turns out that yesterday was some religious festival day in Monbuey. Many of the town folk gathered in the church for a mass. Here’s the ceiling of the old church - stunning!



Afterwards, they had a bit of a party and we wet pilgrims were invited. I went with the Spanish couple and we were treated to a wonderful dinner of home made empanadas and cakes. Afterwards, there was music and dancing in the street. 



I loved seeing these older couples dancing and enjoying the simple celebration.the two men in. This photo really looked out for us pilgrims.



Today’s stage was another beauty for me. I left my companions at the albergue and joined with my companions on the way - the trees



and arrows



and flowers


and animals.



This region reminds me so much of Galicia - the trees and trickling streams, the muddy paths, and the bagpipes.

This church was bathed in a brief ray of sunshine while all around the sky was threatening.



The plains of La Mancha were so wide and open. At times on this stage I was entirely enclosed by mossy stone walls and gnarly old oaks.







And, then there are the quaint villages with their old houses and windy streets.








A renovators delight!


These guys were checking me out but not getting overly excited at my presence.






Puelbla is a wonderful old town build high on a hill. It is filled with stunning old stone buildings all of which seem beautifully preserved. 



There is a cosy looking cafe up every narrow cobbled lane and there are wisteria vines or bright window boxes everywhere (Mum, you would love it). In the background is the mountain we will climb tomorrow (with patches of snow still present).

I’m in the albergue down beside the river Tera, but Mike encouraged me to climb the 237 stairs (!) to the castle precinct to take in the ambience (and the cider!). I’m glad he did. I had a great meal in one of the cafes and am feeling very satisfied despite the long walk. 



I wonder what tomorrow will reveal?
Buen Camino
Neils


















9 comments:

  1. From the plains of La Mancha to this, Neil, you are living the Camino and we are all with you, Sarah, the peregrinos, the locals, and your friends and family. And, hey, make sure you stay away from angry cats, and dodgy real estate agents - though those renovators delights do have possibilities 🤔, ever considered a career as a hospitalero?
    Galicia is just around the corner!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike, it feels as if I am already in Galicia. If only we could get some of this rain in Canberra!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. You've walked from a Mediterranean world to an Atlantic world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a great way of putting it, Charles.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic post. The photographs of the moss-covered walls a d trees—I can almost feel the cool moist air. Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it would remind you of your time on the Frances, Ken. It certainly did me. I hope the reading is progressing. N

      Delete
  4. What an amazing combination of nature and town with good food, community hospitality. It doesn't get better than that. In fact heaven might look like that.
    I thought you were in galicia now. It better come up soon or you'll hit the coast. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete