Wednesday 27 June 2018

Farewell Santiago

When I was at Fisterra I met an Irish pilgrim who turned out to be a priest. As we chatted, it emerged that he was on sabbatical and concluding it by walking the Camino. He had just celebrated his 54th birthday and was about to celebrate the 30th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. I asked him if he was doing anything special for that and he  told me that he had been invited to celebrate the mass in English in a chapel of the cathedral on Tuesday. He seemed like a really decent guy and I went along in support. It was a nice service with about twenty people present; mostly pilgrims but also a few Irish visitors - all named Mary! The lady next to me in the photo walked from Le Puy en Velay, she comes from Madison, Wisconsin, and we discovered we have a mutual friend in Madison!!



We started the service with Amazing Grace and I was struck afresh by the words of one of the verses: ‘Through many dangers, tools and snares I have already come, ‘tis grace that brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.’

As this service concluded, people were gathering for the pilgrim mass (I judge there were about 400 by the time the service started). Of course, I didn’t understand a word of this service, it was mostly in Spanish, but at the end they did swing the whatever it’s called and offer a blessing for pilgrims - for safe passage home and grace to enact the values of the gospel as they continued their pilgrimage through life.


No one ever knows when they are going to swing the censer but when these guys took the rope mobile phones appeared everywhere!


I am spending the  remainder of my time in Santiago in quiet reflection and wandering. Jacques is returning from Finisterre this afternoon and we will meet to say farewell. I’m hoping he will have my fleece which I left on the bed in Negreira thinking it was a blanket (such was my delirium). I thought that was it, but when I discovered that Jacques was walking back from Finisterre I asked if he could call at the albergue and pick it up. He has since emailed to say he has it, how good is that!

Everyone else I met on the way has headed home. I fly out this evening to Barcelona for two days. Meanwhile, I’ll conclude this post with a few final snapshots of beautiful Santiago.


The Seminario Mayor, where I have slept these past two nights.















She made it!


And he smiled!



‘For all that has been... thanks.



For all that will be... Yes!’



Buen Camino
Neils 








6 comments:

  1. What a walk! I recall your excitement the day you had booked your flight, sometime last year, and your anticipation of this walk and that you'd have finished your PhD before you started it...and now you've done it. Must be a vast mixture of feelings...and what memories of the road you will carry forwards with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, thanks Neil! Wishing you wonderful days in Barcelona, and a safe journey home. Like so many others, I'll really miss your daily posts. Similar to your previous Camino journeys, its now become part of my daily ritual to read your blog each morning with my cuppa, and to savour your reflections and beautiful images. Safe travels home, dear Neil, and it'll be really great to see you soon Down Under. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you got to see the botofumeiro in action!

    Enjoy Barcelona!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, tender, amazing, the looking back and forward, and the recognition of the Presence that flows through all, linking all together. Thank you for your words and images and witness to all that is in such abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waow Nice Post. I really appreciate your effort. I am dying in love with this article.
    It's really full of research and hard working. I will share with my friends.
    thanks for this article.
    Kindly Check my Game
    Bike Riding

    ReplyDelete