Wednesday 13 June 2018

38. Laza

It felt Iike I was walking on the rooftop of Galicia today. 



In fact, sometimes I was literally in the clouds.







In fact, sometimes I was above the clouds!



It was a long stage, mostly on roads (which is tougher on the feet), and most of it above 1000 metres. It was cool and windy up high, but it was not raining and that was nice.







From time to time, I would walk through some little hamlet that seemed like a symbol of bygone years. As expected, there was some wonderful old doors to photograph.




It was Keith who sparked my attention to the quaint doors that appear in every village, but as Sarah has since pointed out, the door is an poignant symbol for me as I stand at the threshold of a new season of life. 



I descended into this village I descended into for lunch.



After lunch there was another climb to the the rooftop.


One final pass, and then a long (10 km) descent into Laza. This cross is apparently in honour of all the pilgrims who have died on the Camino.


As I descended I entered back into the forest that lines the valley floor. First pine trees...





and then, the more familiar oaks and vines.



There was one last little hamlet to walk through and in it I came across today’s feature door - complete with smilie face!



I seem to be in a fairly consistent rhythm at the moment. I’m not the first up in the albergue, but by the end of the stage I seem to have overtaken most of the others. The last few days I have been the first person in the new albergue. That’s nice for getting a bunk and shower, and for getting the clothes washed and hung. It also allows some time to relax, write the blog, and recuperate for the next stage. In two days, I hope to get to Ourense, and from there it is almost exactly 100 kms to Santiago. Mind you, tomorrow’s stage is 35kms so nothing is certain. 
Buen Camino
Neils




12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day of walking, despite the roads. Enjoy a well-deserved rest before tomorrow’s long stage!

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, I’m definitely up for the menu del dia tonight.

      Delete
  2. I think you will enjoy the walk tomorrow. Ourense is a nice city with a quiet path in if you can find it. 110 kms from there in. Enjoy your evening and the walk tomorrow. I've enjoying reminiscing as I catch up the last few days! Take care. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Geoff, I’m looking forward to Ourense.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, spacious scenery today...and a great selection of doors! I love the vine covered oak that looks like it has a door into it because of the way the bark is cut away!
    Go easy for your long trek day, you sound a little weary... so I hope it isn't hard going physically or mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m with you, Karina, I thought I could see a door in it too. That’s my kind of door! Yours too, I imagine.

      Delete
  4. What suggestive thresholds these ones are - slightly battered, but picturesque and still serviceable!! Walking above the clouds also a beautiful set of images. It's so good to see Galicia again through your eyes - and I still resonate with Charles' earlier comment that you've walked all the way from a Mediterranean world to an Atlantic world. That's an amazing shift 'from this to that'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I can share it with you, my peregrina. And, yes, I seem to be drawn to those kinds of doors. They tell a story and also offer s9mething for the future - a ‘this’ and a ‘that’.

      Delete
  5. Doors from the known to the unknown. "Medlar con cado paso do Camino" _ Grow with each step of the path!
    Yep, that about sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the doors keep getting better. Walking on the top of the world after the plains. Fantastic. The last days have been tough and another 35 tomorrow. Hold on. Once you get to Ourense nothing will stop you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep!!!! I absolutely love those doors also. Such character. And the colours in them are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete