Saturday 16 June 2018

41. Cea

Before I write of today’s stage I offer some photos of last nights unfoldings. To begin, we peregrines were given access to the cloister in the monastery in which the albergue is situated. The cloisterdates from 1325ce, and it remains in pristine condition - nearly 800 years old!

L.

After that, Jacques (Flanders, Belgium), Daniel (Alps, France), and I went in search of somewhere for a special dinner. We ended up in a plaza that was buzzing with Spaniards.



I had planned to wait until Santiago before I had pulpo, but alas, I fell off the wagon. It was fantastic!



Today, I decided to take another shorter stage in order to preserve my feet and refresh tired legs. It was only 22 kms to Cea, but it seemed a lot longer. It began with another crossing of the Rio Miño...






and then, a steep climb out of Ourense.

This little chapel was perched high on the hill and offer a great final glimpse of the city.






From there, it was mostly rural walking with occasional stretches along forested paths. I think those paint charts you get at the hardware store should have a colour called ‘Galician green’.






Here were a few of the cute gates and doors and windows from along the way.











And, of course, I can’t resist a good bridge.







My new shoes performed well, for which I am thankful. And tonight I am in a delightful albergue in Cea. It’s an old stone building that has be well adapted to house pilgrims. There are lots of beds, but it is light and open. To top it off there’s a good place to wash clothes and sun to dry them. What more could a pilgrim ask for?

 Buen Camino, Neils 















8 comments:

  1. Galicia Green eh. I like that. Walking with you feels like its getting further away. i cant think of a more different place from that simplicity to the cacophony and complexity of New York.The subway system here has the worst signing logic of any system I've been on. It seems like it has grown like topsy and is insanely complicated and really local knowledge is the only way to go. So different from the Universal arrow and the signing etiquette on the Camino.

    Lost my phone yesterday and all my photographs. A bit sad.

    Mate its still so beautiful and you're closing in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mate, that is such a bummer about your phone. I can give you all my photos but still, you had some great ones.

      Delete
  2. A sunny day in Galicia! How wonderful. Very close to the end!

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ken, it’s hard to believe I am nearly there. When I am I think I’ll be done!

      Delete
  3. Yes, a nice view back from the small church. You won't see many out tonight eating (until late) though the bars will be busy as Spain is playing Portugal at the Football World Cup in Russia tonight! I'm watch the game and it's a cracker! Hopefully you watched it in a bar because there's nothing more fun when in another country than to join in with the national passion:) Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Geoff, we watched the game in a bar with all the locals. It was great fun. I had a soft spot for Portugal but I didn’t mention that in the bar! Australia lost to France today - expected but apparently they played really well.

      Delete
  4. Fine photos as usual. Mind those feet, there are no spares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Charles. They are coping pretty well so far.

      Delete