Saturday 12 May 2018

10. Minaya

I had a more leisurely start this morning as I have decided to walk some shorter stages over the coming week. I meet Sarah in Toledo on the 20th so there is no sense in rushing. Also, I imagine there will be some interesting elements to each of these La Mancha towns if I have opportunity to look around. Primo is under some time constraints so he will press on to San Clemente - another big stage. I’ll miss his company in the evenings but I’m sure my legs will appreciate a few shorter stages - there is still a long way to go.

So, off we go. Farewell to the Plaza de Toros - last night’s accommodation.



Through the Main Street of La Roda looking for a bar for breakfast.



And then it’s time to walk on.



I made a quick detour to check out the church.



It is absolutely massive and very imposing. The door was locked and the life was on the outside and in the air, however, with hundreds of small black birds swirling around. It was a bit spooky actually.



Onward to Minaya. 



Along the way, I met this shepherd leading his sheep up the road. The sheep are very responsive to the shepherd’s voice and never get in front of him. Mindful of Geoff’s experience with the GIANT sheep on the via de la Plata, I was careful to stand aside.



There must have been two hundred sheep in this flock.



It was a fairly strong headwind for the whole stage today. After a while the wind roaring in the ears gets a bit much so the trusty buff became ear muffs.



So, here I am in Minaya, a smaller town (with another big church) that looks deserted until you enter the bar, which is alive with men playing cards and talking loudly.



My accommodation adventure is unfolding slowly. In the bar I asked about the albergue municipal. When they eventually understood my Spanish (or attempt at it) there was much gesticulating and loud fast speech. I worked out that it was three streets back and out on the ended of town. By how to contact Jesús (seriously) about the key, I have no phone and there is no public phone in town. I asked the barman and he kindly rang Jesús for me. The message I picked up was that he’d meet me there in 4 minutes. I wandered out to the place but no Jesús. I found some kids playing futbol nearby and they seemed keen to chat. One rang Jesús again. It turns out he is out of town but will be back to let me in at 4pm (four hours time). So, it’s back to the bar to wait. It’s all a bit of a saga, but so far, thanks to some kind and patient Spaniards, I have negotiated each dilemma. Hopefully Jesús will appear to this disciple at the set hour!! In the meantime, I’m grateful for wifi and will savour reading your comments and messages...

Five hours later.
Well, a very friendly Jesús did turn up on a donkey (only kidding, on a bike) and let me in. Last night it was a bull fighting arena, tonight it is an indoor sports stadium (all to myself). That’s my room down in the far corner with the door open.



Once again, simple accommodation, but free for pilgrims, which is much appreciated. Mind you, that wind howling outside is causing some pretty loud banging sounds in here. I’m hoping it will drop off later or it could be a bit disconcerting during the night. I see that Santiago is watching over the door of the church, I hope his overview includes the sports stadium.

Buen Camino, Neils 




5 comments:

  1. The sheep in the west are 2 metres high! These Easter sheep are baby lambs by comparison:) You will have no problem with these little ones! Good decision to change pace. You've likely cleared your brain jets a bit and can now enjoy the experience a little deeper. I'm still surprised at the level landscape. Very interesting. We are sitting on the Med in a small village enjoying a glass of vino blanco and watching the world go by...and the Giro flash by on the TV screen in the bar. Thinking of you and sending positive energy on the wind mate. Wonderful that Sarah will meet you soon. Toledo is a lovely city, and I hope you plan a rest day there. The little white chocho tourist train is a hoot to ride, and is the very best way to see the view from 'that' famous painting by whatshisname!! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great day and yes, you deserved a shorter stage, although it's a shame you're separated from your friend Primo. Wonderful photographs. I wonder what your accommodations will actually be like--and what you'll be like after drinking cervezas for four hours waiting for him!

    I have a technical question: are you carrying an iPad or are you blogging with your phone?

    Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neil - you've gone from one wide brown land to another it seems, but I'm sure the accidental meetings and unexpected places are rewarding. Looks like the multi-lingual guidebooks are working well too. l

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day unfolds in its own way. It sounds like you're Spanish is becoming functional too which is an amazing side product of putting yourself in these situations that you can't control. I'm loving the photos. They capture something quite special. Keep going mate. Day by day. Night by night.

    ReplyDelete