Tuesday 15 May 2018

12. Las Pedroñeras

Today was the first morning since I began walking that I could not find an open bar for breakfast. Oh well, lucky I had a big dinner. It should keep me going to Las Padroñeras. Off we go...

I quick shot in the canola to see how I am weathering. Not so well, by the looks!!



And walk on under wide, blue skies.



That’s what I call a pot! It’s pretty much the highest point around - perfect for an arrow.





I’m struck again by the vast horizon that surrounds me on every side.







If I hadn’t stopped for a leak at this tree, I would have missed this arrow. The way-marking out here is not as clear as in early stages.



That’s the stuff, now I know I’m on track.



Santiago de la Torre, a symbol of past glory. I wonder what it took to build this castle and what life was like in its hey day. Did it ever get attacked? How many people did it suppport? ... 



I venture in, fascinated to see what is behind these thick walls, but not too far. Things could collapse any time.






A few more kilometres and Las Pedroñeras came into view. Still an hour or so of walking but at least I know it’s there.



On arrival, Las Pedroñeras seemed like a pretty desolate kind of town. Oh well, if you can get out of it may as well get into it. I found the police station and a helpful policeman arranged the albergue for me and gave me a map to find the way (he even spoke a bit of English). This town has no logic to its streets as far as I can tell, so I’m grateful for a map. He also showed me where I might find something to eat. 

At 3pm, I am ambling back towards the albergue in anticipation of it opening when I hear ‘Neils’. It’s Daniele and Jean-Pierre! How did you two get here? I discover they had caught a train over one of the really long stages earlier and had actually been in San Clemente last night. We wander to the albergue and I meet Augustino (Italy) and Uli (Germany). They already know the French couple and greet me warmly. In a matter of minutes, the prospect of a rather grim afternoon and evening alone turns into a pilgrim fiesta. 

And, so it goes on the Camino! 
Muchas gracias, Neils 

P.S. Happy birthday, mum. I hope you have a great day and look forward to meeting up in Barcelona at the end of this.

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you'll have some company tonight. It's always better at the end of a long day on the road. I liked the fortress. You may see others further west. During the the British and French wars Wellington chased Napoleon's army out of a number of them as he pushed him back towards the French frontier. Have a good meal, a cold beer and a good sleep tonight! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weathering: you’re getting a lot of sun but still recognizable as yourself. You must be beat after these long days. How long today?

    The fortress was quite something. Good on you for venturing inside. Watch for hantavirus-bearing mouse droppings!

    Have a great t8me with your friends tonight. Geoff’s right about being alone at the end of the day. Not as much fun as being with other peregrinos.

    Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's incredible how you keep bumping into your fellow travellers. I imagine that moves the spirit. Yeah what did happen in that castle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With horizons like that, it must be like being at sea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Article is Amazing...
    Kindly Check my Game Asphalt Nitro

    ReplyDelete