Friday 18 May 2018

15. Tembleque - consolation row

I had a leisurely start this morning as there was only 20 kms to walk today. I had breakfast at my little hotel and set off in fine fettle. Along the last kilometre of the tree lined street of Villacañas there were Camino shell plaques underneath every second tree. They looked like they may have been made by high school kids and each one was different. Here’s a couple of my favourites.





It was a consolation row, indeed.



From there, it was off the main road and on to the gravel path to Tembleque.



Apparently, that is a hill. I haven’t seen too many of these for the last week or so. (Geoff, this one’s for you. And Ken, you don’t see too many in Saskatchewan either.)



The country is changing and so are the crops. It was predominantly olives today and the colours of the landscape much more silver and sand than green and yellow.





There’s something dignified about an old olive tree - grounded and yet still bearing fruit. I hope I can age like that.



A pause in the shade of some pine trees (and a few more poppies).



Not far from Tembleque, I caught up with Danièle and Jean-Pierre (with bandaged chin).



As you can see, we were also approaching two more windmills.



I could get up close to these ones. Such a beautiful shape on the landscape.







That’s Jean-Pierre and Danièle having a picnic avec les moulins.



From there it was a short stroll to Tembleque. I am staying in a nice little casa rural with six French pilgrims. My room is in the roof above the last window on the right. You can see my old friend standing guard on the left too.



Over the road from us is the church. It is huge with all sorts of extra bits attached. It would overwhelm most cathedrals in Australia and it is a local parish church!



On the other side is the Plaza Mayor, which was build in the early 1600s and doubled as a bull fighting arena.





So, all in all, a much easier day than yesterday. And thank you to all who are commenting and writing words of encouragement. Your interest and care is much appreciated. Buen Camino, Neils 








4 comments:

  1. I love the photos of today - what a lovely landscape and your shots of the windmills (and at last someone taking a picture of you!) are wonderful. So glad that it was a day of consolation, and hopefully an evening of some shared conversation and vino tinto. All love from me, Sarey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. I meant to say I loved the 'high school' camino shells too - what a delight!

      Delete
  2. A lovely day of walking Neil. Nice for you to see more variety in the landscape. We have just arrived in Dublin and are waiting for a bus to Derry that will get us in just after midnight. A long day here too! Will check in on you tomorrow. Have a good night! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 20 kilometres! What will you do with the rest of the day? I hope you get a good rest at your casa rurale.

    The shells the kids made are great. I wonder if someone took the trouble to cast them in bronze, or if they're concrete.

    I like the photos of the windmills. Clearly one needs to bring along a copy of Don Quixote on this walk, but it has to be finished before Toledo, because it'd be too heavy to carry any farther.

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete