Sunday 20 May 2018

Toledo by night and day

I am enjoying a rest day in Toledo, hobbling along narrow cobbled, banner lined lanes on a blistered foot. 

Last night, Uli (who knows this place well) took me through the old city to help get my bearings. Here are some photos. First, one the youth hostel all lit up. What amazing different places I have slept in these past three weeks.



This is down near the river, looking back to the bridge from a gate to the city. Two different arches, one featuring Moorish and one Roman architectural styles.



The military training academy, which is up near our hostel.






The cathedral spire.



One of the towers of the Alcázar.



And this morning...

The bridge into town - Puente de Alcántara.



Uli, just before he walked on. He is 72 and has walked seven caminos, including the Camino Frances some 25 years ago.



The Puenta de Bisagra, the chief bridge and gate to the city.





And the cathedral from the patio adjoining our little room for tonight. The cathedral is massive!



I’ve spent some time wandering through the El Greco museum and the old synagogue both of which had free entry til 2pm and will not be open tomorrow. Mind you, finding places here is a struggle. Navigating in Canberra is a breeze compared to Toledo, where I can get lost in three minutes flat.

And then, I had the good fortune to meet this wonderful pilgrim from Australia who plans to walk to Avila in the coming week. We decided to team up and I’m very happy. Here she is with one of my other favourite theologians - James Alison.



Buen Camino 

Neils




4 comments:

  1. I recognize the pilgrim who is walking to Avila!

    While you are exploring Toledo, I'm putting in a garden, or at least starting to. Today's task was breaking up the clay soil with a broad fork. It was exhausting work. Now I'm supposed to be reading, which as you know is what students do, but instead I'm looking at pictures of Toledo.

    Enjoy your rest, despite the blisters.

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rejoice that you've found another Australian pilgrim (who also happens to be another of your favourite theologians)! I'm also glad you've got some rest days to enjoy Toledo and heal the blister - and for Sarah to relax after her big month in the UK.
    Buen Camino Sarah & Neil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Someone with whom to share the journey who speaks your language... in every sense! Enjoy the sights and sounds of such a 'lit' city ('lit' also meaning totally awesome in teen speak so I have learnt).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful. Some people can come over friendly and they have other motives. They see you're wounded and a bit worn out and will get you on a long lonely stretch. It could be ok but just be careful.

    ReplyDelete