Wednesday 9 May 2018

6. Higueruela

Today’s stage, almost 40 kms, is dedicated to my two grandsons, Mikah and James, who have been practising for Camino. Hi guys, later this year, my friend Mie from Denmark is walking part of the Camino Frances with her grandson, and one day I hope to walk it with you two. Grandpa just needs to keep his old legs going for long enough. Today is good training!

As usual I was up early. This morning there was even a bit of sunrise.




This stage unfolded in three distinct sections. First there was a climb into a semi arid area under the plateau that has been getting closer since early yesterday. This part of the path was very rocky.







As I sat for my first break of the day, two guys on bikes rode past. ‘What you can do this on a bike!’, I thought. ‘That’s rediculous!’ (with apologies to Joost from The Way).





The second stage was through much better quality soil. There were many crops and the paths were softer and straighter.







The third stage, the final 10 kms was on road and climbed gradually ever higher. Higueruela is over 1000 metres above sea level so I have definitely come up in the world since leaving Valencia. That final 10 kms seemed to go on forever and I had to really steel myself to keep going. The rain that was forecast for today has not eventuated here. I think I had two spots. There was cloud in the morning which was a relief from the direct sun but this arvo has been pretty much full on sun with little shade. There has been a breeze though and that helps with temperature. You would not want to be walking this route in mid-summer!!




If Higueruela is on the top of this range then I must be getting close... please be close??



Finally the town came into view. I was one happy little peregrino. Suddenly the wind began to blow and whip up dust. It wasn’t as strong as I have walked in but it was certainly slowing me down those last few hundred metres. 



Higueruela reminds me of some of the towns on the meseta (on the Camino Frances) It has a slightly Wild West feel though I haven’t seen anyone with a gun yet, in fact, the people were very helpful in directing me to the albergue and the bar where I needed to pick up the key. 

I am now happily set up in the albergue for the night. It’s down in the middle of this of mass of rooves - the white square building on the far right. The photo also shows where I will be walking tomorrow.



Time for a refreshing ale. Buen Camino. Neils

3 comments:

  1. Hey Neil, the stages you describe are just so evocative; your day can start one way, and morph into several variants as the hours pass. Your images capture this perfectly. Those last 10kms on the bitumen, with possible rain, tired legs,mind games with yourself about "where IS this &^%$ village!",and then the wind are excellent foundations for a long cold cerveza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil - these are great pics and ripping yarns (especially yesterday's tales about mattress monsters, knights and wild boar). It looks like its all you wanted and needed - and a great way to shake out the hard mental work of finishing your PhD! Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40k that's a big day. I too love the changes you portray. He I'll be there in two weeks. Your images are aclimatising me.

    ReplyDelete