Saturday 19 May 2018

16. Mora

Uli, a German pilgrim with whom I am sharing a room tonight tells me that we have walked 500 kms since leaving Valencia. Funnily enough, today I got a blister on my heel. Maybe a grain of sand in my shoe or a sign that I am due for a rest.

I left Tembleque before the dawn, which gave me a nice shot of the Plaza Mayor still lit up.



It didn’t take long to exceed the town limits and not long afterward the sun began to rise.



Today’s walk was in two parts. The first 13 kms were along a smooth gravel road with wheat fields extending to distant ridges on both sides.

 



This section of the walk seemed to go on and on, probably because I was hungry but eventually Villanueva de Bogas came into view. I found a nice little cafe where I had a light but welcome breakfast.



In the second 13 kms, everything changed. The road began to twist and undulate and the horizon closed in.





This shot reminded my of some of the scrub near Keith and Stella’s place in central Australia.



I crossed the Rio Algodor (a creek in Aussie terms) and continue to wind on through scrubby terrain.





The poppies even changed colour in this section.



Somehow, it felt like a relief to be in a less expansive landscape for a time. I found myself noticing things close at hand.





I wonder if the olives in these groves are different colours too??



This was also the first time of walking under a dark sky since leaving Valencia. Just near this spot a yellow-green lizard the size of a blue tongue scurried across my path. I have never seen anything like it. Sadly, it was too quick to catch in a photo.



It rained for much of the afternoon, but by then I was safely holed up in Mora. The town itself is fairly non-descript, except for the local mayor’s office which is is a stunning modern Moorish designed building with a striking ornate tiled roof.



Tomorrow, I hope to make it to Toledo, where I will take two rest days and also be joined by Sarah who is flying in from London - yay!

6 comments:

  1. I liked the shot of the crooked way sign made vertical. It made those wheat fields seem like a storm-tossed sea. Many of the wildflowers you photographed are known as introduced weeds here, but they're still lovely.

    500 km is something to celebrate, which you will soon be doing in Toledo!

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely day of walking. Nice to see some variance in your walking horizon! I hope your blister isn't too bad. They do have a way of getting in the way. One more day and you can rest for a while. That's needed and it will feel great to take a few days off at this point. Enjoy your evening.

    Now up in NW Ireland and enjoying the green, green, green after the brown of Malta. I have a walk coming up this Sunday,apparently in the rain with the local Ramblers Climbers! Should be fun:) Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have some undulations! You are well and truly a seasoned pilgrim again now. Rest up in Toledo and be a tourist for a couple of days -you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your companion is very much looking forward to joining you in Toledo - and to a rest to begin with! I had a great day in Oxford today - and ate a lot more than you did by the sounds of it!! I love the photos of the flowers and insects close up - and the Moorish roofed mayor's office. Buen camino, my love - walk on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the journey is about just you, the road and the hope of the next good meal...perhaps a refreshing simplicity...
    With the joy of some pilgrim friendship added for a touch of extra colour!
    May the rest pause now be a gift too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mate the photos are exquisite. This day read like some one listening to country. Slowness gof the unfolding seems to play a role

    ReplyDelete