Wednesday 16 May 2018

13. El Toboso

I had a longer stage today so I wanted to be out and on the road early. Once again it was a perfectly clear morning. The weather so far has been very kind on pilgrims.





The early morning sun was creating some striking patterns with the fields of grapes.



Pilgrims on any route in Spain will be familiar with this fella.



The first village of today’s stage was about 7 kms from Las Paderoñeras. As I entered, there was a cacophony of horns blaring. It turned out to be dozens of tractors, large and small, driving through town. It seemed like some sort of protest and I noticed that in almost every tractor there were sons and grandsons as well as the farmer. I would have asked some of the locals who were standing around watching but I wouldn’t have understood their answer.





The terrain was more undulating today and also there seemed to be more red and brown and less greens. In part this was because there was less wheat and barley and corn being grown and more grapes and olives.



Well, I’m on track, but what was I thinking!!



This is definitely Don Quixote country.



Finally, some windmills to tilt at. Maybe if I sneak up behind they won’t notice me.





And, onward to El Toboso.



Finally, the signs that I was getting close.



More shadows.



And here I am. Excuse me Dulcinea, could you point me to the nearest albergue.



‘Sure, you take Calle Miguel de Cervantes.



Pass Calle Rocinante.



And turn right into Calle Antonio Machado.



Just along there you will find Albergue El Quijote.’

4 comments:

  1. The beauty of being in the same time zone, I usually get to comment first! A nice day indeed. Was that a hill or two that I saw? You must have thought them a mirage:)
    Nice to see the mills on the hill. Always a welcoming sight! As we discussed before you left, I think that for much of the way you can expect to see some greenery. It was such a wet winter in Spain that the soil was well charged after the droughts the past three years. It might be a bit brown when you reach the southern reaches of the Meseta, and it will be interesting to see what you find. Have a good rest and looking forward to tomorrow's post. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. The size of the stump from which the grape vines are growing is really surprising. So is the bull sculpture, which at first I took to be an actual bull--without a fence separating you from him. Never mind worrying about sheep and dogs!

    The famous Dulcinea was from El Toboso, which explains all the Cervantes around the town. I don't know what the connection to the poet Antonio Machado might be. Of course, since you have wifi, you probably already know these things.

    You've covered a lot of ground in the past two weeks. Nearly a third of the way there! That's something to celebrate.

    Buen Camino,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those windmills!!! Much more picturesque than the functional giants up on the ridges

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fi looked up the pedestrian route from Valencia to Finisterre on Google. It goes well north of Madrid. Are you sure you're going the right way? :-)

    ReplyDelete