Thursday 10 May 2018

8. Albacete

Today was the smoothest, flattest and most open stage I have ever walked. It was short too, just under 20 kms, so just what the doctor ordered. In  addition, it was cloudy and overcast so a bit of a break from the relentless sun. The only hill I saw all day was the hill on which Chinchilla is built. Here it is in the early morning light.



I walk faster that Primo but I stick with him while getting out of the towns as he has the Spanish guide book which has by far the most detailed maps. 





While we were checking directions here a man pulled up and explained which way we needed to go. Another example of people looking out for peregrines and much appreciated. He was quite happy to be photographed.



From there is was an amble through the industrial zone and then through wheat fields that stretched to the horizon in every direction.






This pile of rocks was the highest point of the walk!



sign on the edge of Albacete. Not so exceptional, except that it has bullet holes in it - the wild plains of La Mancha!!


But then again, the poppies soften things and add a bit of colour and class.



It would be a very different walk in autumn with the greens having turned to brown and the poppies well and truly gone. I’m wondering if it will get browner over the next couple of stages as I continue inland.

The other development as far as I am concerned is that twice today I have understood the amount of my bill!! My Spanish is improving slightly.

Tomorrow is going to be a massive day. At 42 kms I hope it will be the longest stage of the camino Levante. Go legs, you can do it!!

Albacete is one of the biggest centres of population on the plains of La Mancha. Here’s a few shots from the city. The cathedral.



The mayor’s office.



The hotel where I am staying... only kidding.



And two friends I met along the way.




6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your leg is better. When I walked the Haldimand Tract, my left buttock seized up. I spent an afternoon doing ilio-tibial band stretches and the next day all was well.

    Also, I started on your dissertation yesterday; I've read the first five chapters. This might be something that belongs in an e-mail, and if so forgive me, but I'm not sure you're checking e-mails. Anyway, I was surprised by the acknowledgements page and impressed by the breadth of research and clarity of the writing. Nice job! I was disappointed when chapter 5 ended--I wanted another cycle to see what more you had learned. I'm sure the examiners will be impressed. In Australia, do you have to defend the paper before your committee and an external reviewer?

    Anyway, another wonderful day of walking, and yes, a shorter stage is what was necessary. But tomorrow--42 km--that's going to be tough. I'll be thinking of you today as you march across the plains. Maybe I'll hum that Broadway song: "I am Don Quixote, the Man of La Mancha" (although those are the only words I know).

    Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that Don Quixote and his faithful companion might turn up a bit over the next few days so please sing along. I don’t know the song but I have been doing a bit of singing out here. Thanks heaps for reading thesis too. If only you were an exaiminer!!

      Delete
    2. I just finished the thesis. Congratulations! It's made me realize that I need to be more reflective about my teaching practice (difficult because of time constraints and class sizes and continual frustration), and it's made me wonder about the value of some kind of reflective practice among members of my department (although we're all likely pretty defensive and competitive about our abilities as teachers). Still, lots to think about, and thank you for sharing it.

      Ken

      Delete
  2. Just arrived in Malta and have checked in on you. Good to hear it went well. 40+ is just a head game and if it's as flat as today, you'll sail along! Running out to dinner, Annemarie is hungry! Have a good day tomorrow! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just caught up on your blog and what a diverse few days you have had - changing landscapes, friendly folk and creatures of the night! Clearly all experiences are inspiring your creativity! And good to hear your sense of humour is hanging in along with your weary legs. I hope for gentler weather and comfy beds coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the poppies are certainly a beautiful sight. Delightful and delicate flowing in the breeze. Yes - go legs, you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete