Saturday 5 May 2018

2. Xàtiva

It was a 6 o’clock rise this morning. After taking a quick photo of my perigrino companion last evening, Primo Giovanni, I set off for another big day of walking.



The streets of these old towns have their own beauty and serenity in the early morning.



Here was the polica station where I got the key last evening. I have seen many polica, often in the most out of the way places and they have all been really friendly. I have wondered whether they are searching for some escapee from somewhere.



The variety in bridges in Spain is enormous.


And their houses are painted in many bright colours.



Old Espana.





As I passed through one village the doors to the enormous church were open. I went in and the priest was celebrating mass. I joined the queue of people, by far the youngest and received the host. Obviously I wasn’t consuming it fast enough because the priest mentioned something, grabbed it from my hand, and shoved it in my mouth.



Here is one of the pedestrian bridges that pilgrims dread - lots of walking for not much distance gained. Still, better than trying to cross the busy roads.



Tempting, but just out of reach.



I have come across many dogs today. They look and sound fierce and thankfully most are behind fences. I have been bailed up by a few and feared I was about to be bitten but so far so good. I need a staff.



I was happily rambling along a quiet country lane when I realised I hadn’t seen any arrows for a while. My worst fears were confirmed when I came to an intersection and nothing. Dejected, I began to retrace my steps (a pilgrim hates to backtrack). I decided to flag down a passing farmer and ask the way. He and his son confirmed my mistake and kindly offered to give me a ride back 2 kilometres to the pedestrian bridge (yes, that bridge) where I went wrong. This was grace enough and then he went to the boot and got out 3 juicy sweet oranges (Geoff and Annemarie, this was my first ‘ossetti’ and it was very much appreciated. Ken, you would have loved them. My new friends posed for a photo. The older one has walked the Camino Norte so Mie and Mary I thought again of your wonderful walk there last year.



Back to careful watching for signs.


Those hills in the distance are a sign I’ll be climbing soon enough.

Another way for getting pilgrims to the other side of busy roads. 

I caught up with Primo, who had passed me while I was being sidetracked and we shared lunch in a little village. At the next village, we bumped into two more pilgrims - Jean-Pierre and Danielle from Strasbourg (also on their 7th camino). As it turns out, I caught up with them later and we are sharing a room in casa rural this evening - the solidarity of the road.



It was another long day in which I walked well over 30 kilometres. My feet and legs are feeling a bit weary but it’s amazing how a shower and a brief sit can help. Tomorrow there are hills to climb as we begin to turn from south to west, in fact I think I am at the southern most point of this camino. So, with accommodation sorted, and clothes washed it is time to find something to eat. Such is life on the road. 








9 comments:

  1. Lost and found. All part of the process. People there to help is part of the wonder and pleasure of the Camino. I'm looking forward to the hills, always beautiful scenery. Of course, you're the one who has to do the climbing! I just get to read about it:). Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like there are at least a few of you on the route, which is encouraging isn't it? But you definitely need a staff - no chomps needed out of your long-suffering legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful blog as always Neil. Sounds like you are well underway and enjoying making meaning from all you observe...and of course metaphors about life and journeying abound! For someone so exhausted when leaving canberra, you have sur Pe thrown yourself into distances! But hopefully you are unwinding from all that was before and loving the space you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're enjoying your blog enormously particularly as we DIDN'T see you walking around the lake this morning! Glad you got there safely (eventually); glad you got your gear (eventually); and glad the arrows continue to point in the right direction (eventually)! Russell is currently riding his 'tour' and then we'll head off on 'our journey' so will dip in to see how you're getting on from time to time. Blessings for all that is to come, Frances and Russell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neil, you have made some significant progress over the first two days - that walk out of Valencia - the first arrows, the predawn light, the industrial outskirts, the bridges, getting lost and found, the oranges! the dogs, those bloody overpasses - mate, you are doing it; so good that you have come across some other peregrinos already. Just being open to the road, and to the people, the giving and receiving - and now you are turning toward the north west, looking forward to those morning shadows as your days grow longer! Onward . . .Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much grace on this day of walking, and so many new friends. I’m enjoying following your progress so much.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, do you carry dog biscuits to bribe unfriendly cues?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delighted you have found companions and angels to share the way with!

    ReplyDelete