Tuesday 1 May 2018

Touch down

Greetings from Valencia! I’m here after what turned out to be a rather longer journey than I had planned. All went well until Barcelona, at least as far as an Aussie flier is concerned, twenty something hours in planes and airports is pretty standard as far as we are concerned. I just had the short one hour flight to Valencia to go, after which I would be met and dropped at my digs for a very reasonable fee. So much for plans. The flight was cancelled 30 minutes before scheduled takeoff and we passengers were left stranded. I teamed up with some Italians, French, Venezuelians and Irish fellow strandees and the adventure began. There was much gesturing and animated chatter, mainly from the Italians and eventually we found ourselves on a bus. Five hours later after bussing, training and walking I was there! Needless to say, it felt good to jump into a shower and hit the sack.

Just before leaving Australia (thanks for the lift to the airport, Alex) I had a visit from two of my favourite Aussie camino buddies - Micah and James, so here’s my first photo of the trip. Always good to have company and especially someone to carry your pack. Thanks guys it was great to see you. Buen Camino, Neil

4 comments:

  1. Yee haa - the adventure begins! One day, James and Mikah, you'll have to come with Grandpa and join the fellowship of the way. lots of love, Sarah (writing from cool Northumbria)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so great to know you've arrived safely in Spain, Neil (albeit after an unplanned journey from Barcelona to Valencia! I've been thinking of you setting off on the walk in these few days, and hope its wonderful and everything you need - and that there's still some late Valencia oranges being harvested for you to sup on along your walk! That pre-departure pic of you with your grandsons is absolutely beautiful - what a great sendoff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys were happy to see a photo of themselves on your Blog. They are both quite keen to follow you on the map so we have been looking at your blog and then checking the Atlas! They are both planning their 'Palamino' when they get older! (they were both full of stories of Grandpa walking the Palamino (we have a Palamino horse!) and it took me a little while to twigg that they meant Camino!) James has also packed a few bags and taken a few 'walks' around the yard. I think it would be a wonderful for them to this with you in a few years - Simon too. Would make many meaningful memories and could provide valuable time together. We are keeping you in our prayers and hope that your travels bring insight and direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Neil. These photos of Valencia are fantastic. What an amazing place. I think my favorite photos are always patterns and you've got it here. I'm now plugged into the journey having been out of contact for the last week. imagery of the unknown way forward. I'm looking forward to that.
    I love the

    ReplyDelete