Thursday 17 May 2018

14. Vallacañas - desolation row

There are days on the Camino when nothing really goes according to plan and these days can be pretty stretching. Today was like that for me.



I set off bright and early from El Toboso, which is a nice little town, more monumental and historical and working from the looks of things. I said farewell to Don Quijote, who was still pledging undying love to Dulcinea and wondered through the town looking for somewhere for breaky. No such luck - everything closed.



That’s okay, I thought. I can walk on to the next town which is only 8 kms or so.



I took a brief pause to take off warm gear along the way.



Unfortunately, there was no bar on the way in the next town, and by the time I realised it would have been to much backtracking to go and find one. So, on to the next town. This stretch was a dog for me, the arrows went in two directions and the route I took ended up being along the main road for 5 kms - noise, dodging trucks, hard surface etc.

Thankfully, there was a bar open in the next town and I got myself a bocadillo for brunch. I also bumped into Danièle and Jean-Pierre who had been delivered back on track from the hospital. JP had seven stitches in his chin but nothing is broken after his bad fall yesterday, so hopefullly they are good to keep going. There was still 10 kms to go to the scheduled stop for the day and we planned to meet there.



I set off and,  in the midst of dust farm roads all criss crossing and not way marked, I managed to take a rather longer route (add 2 to 3 extra kms!). There is virtually no wheat or barley in this area, just grapes and olives, so the landscape is much drier looking.



There are also lots of stones, which also gives it a harsher feel.



When I reached the scheduled stop town, Villa de Don Fadrique, it was all pretty desolate. I spent the best part of two hours looking for D and JP to no avail (more kms in the hot sun!). I sussed out the albergue, and it was in an indoor sports stadium that had definitely seen better days. You had to get the key from the police station but of course by now they were all on siesta. I decided in the end to give the whole place the flick walk on to the next town in hope of something more promising (another 11 kms!). 

The one nice thing about that desolate place was that I saw my first stork nesting - mind you, the chimney looks pretty desolate too. I hope that little family will be safe up there.



They really do keep the goats with the sheep here.




So, here I am, finally, in Vallacañas in a hotel room with sheets and a towel and wifi. It’s been a tough day and I’ve walked around 40 kms again but I am here and it is comfortable. And, guess what, I just got an email from D and JP and they decided to walk on too. No wonder I couldn’t find them!! So, they are here too. Ah well, the day is done and every one is safe and stowed - that’s a good outcome in the end.



Neils 

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are safely in. Ah, the luxury of a hotel room!

    Perhaps you are carrying food with you? On the Plata there was rarely a bar open for breakfast and never a place to stop for lunch, so I got into the habit of carrying some breakfast bars and making a bag of raisins, peanuts and M&M's (don't melt until walking temps hit 40...I know from experience!) each night to munch on as I walked. I also carried two bananas or apples and oranges. Just ate as I walked those long stretches. Any way mate, 'food for thought':) Good news to plan a solid break in Toledo. It's a very interesting town with lots to see, decent restaurants and some good accommodations.
    Buen Camino! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. All’s well that ends well? Although that’s another very long day. Are the maps in the guidebook of any use?

    Back to my reading—all I seem to do these days. You know the drill!

    Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, mate. We all have had days like that. So happy that you decided to walk on and that it worked out. Enjoy the rest, you deserve it, and hey you are now that much closer to Toledo. It also looks like you'll be moving into more varied landscapes too. So all in all, a day to mark as pilgrimage, and looking for signs (of arrows and open bars), Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neil - I'm really enjoying vicariously walking the Camino Levante with you - and am so glad that my morning ritual of reading your blog doesn't require me to also endure the long distances, hot days, wrong turns, desolate towns etc. Your writing and pics are so evocative and fabulous - thanks so much for faithfully posting them for us all each day. Its truly wonderful to track your journey and travel with you in spirit. Its great thinking of you in a hotel with real sheets etc tonight. And I'm super excited knowing that its now only a couple of days until Sarah will join you and you can walk together for the week. I'm guessing the long distances, hot days and wrong turns will be much easier to endure when you're walking together! Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mate it sounds pretty gruelling at times. I love your blog and I just trying to imagine those moments you describe of setback and elation. Its very powerful. Bloody hard way to do it though. Did I say I was going to join you?

    ReplyDelete