Saturday 12 May 2018

9. La Roda or bust

Well here I am in La Gineta, a non-descript town half way (almost) to La Roda. The legs are holding up pretty well on this very flat stage. I’m just rambling along with massive horizons on each side and big sky above me. 

Here’s a few shots of the walk so far. There was a heavy shower in Albacete last night and with the ground a bit softer the farmers were taking time to re-grade their roads.







As Geoff reminded me yesterday, these 40+ stages are more mind game than leg game. So, like Geoff, I’m just being in my ‘happy place’ and rolling along with it. I’ve got myself a massive bocadillo here in La Gineta and hopefully that will sustain me for the next 25 or so. To the road! Hang on, where am I?



Now there’s a haystack!



‘Walk on, walk on, pilgrim walk on. Walk on, walk on, pilgrim walk on and on, walk on and on, pilgrim walk on....’







So, this is what the plains of La Mancha can do to you!





Later in the afternoon, the interminably straight road gave way to a more interesting winding path. It’s amazing what a bit of variety can do for the weary spirit.



This water was very tempting. Man I’m hot and tired.



Finally, La Roda came into view. There is always more walking to go than you think when the destination comes into view but seeing it sure keeps you going.



Now to find somewhere to stay and a drink - I’m parched. But hey, I made it!! Yippee!!

So, here’s the thing. When I managed to work a Spanish public phone and call the hospitalero, I discover that the municipal albergue is connected to the Plaza de Toros, in fact, it’s inside the facility! Wow, the Camino takes you into some amazing places.



I’m glad it is used as a place of hospitality more than for its original purpose.













5 comments:

  1. Ok, so a bull ring is something new for all of us! Well done:) I'm surprised just how flat this route has been. The Plata was more varied, and then there was the southern end of the Meseta which of course was fairly level. I thought you'd have more climbing by now, but apparently not yet. For sure on the Sanbrese, but that's days away. Any way, I'm sure you're delighted to have this stage behind you. Pleased to hear that all has gone well. Have a good sleep in your paddock and will tune in tomorrow to see how you've done. BC! Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done beloved - what a walk!!! So glad to hear you made it safe and sound, and into a bull-less arena. A well-earned sleep tonight! Love Sars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those endless horizons and big skies - immersing yourself in the landscape. I bet that water channel was hard to pass. And then the towns and villages appear simmering in the distance. How far, how far, how much water do I have left? Glad to see that your boccadillo did the trick - and hope that you slept well - now that's something that could La Roda on the map. . . Sleeping with the Bulls. Yep a definite first as Goeff said🤔

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a long walk. Mind game, leg game—for me it’s a chafing game, Good on you for arriving at your destination. Enjoy the ring, if not the toros!

    I checked and a cañada is a gully or ravine—that was your chance at a hill.

    Great photos, by the way.

    Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man that's amazing. 42km through la mancha. The photos are beautiful. Has your leg improved?

    It all looks amazing. I'm getting excited to be there with you soon.

    ReplyDelete